Tier 2 – General
The UK Border Agency introduced radical changes to the work routes within the points based system in 2011, a number of which apply to Tier 2 (General). As part of its review of the UK immigration system the government elected to raise the threshold for Tier 2 visas to 'graduate level' and commissioned the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) to recommend a new shorter list of 'graduate' occupations.
The graduate level requirement for all occupations within Tier 2 was introduced as part of the annual review of the codes of practice for sponsored skilled workers and came into force on 6th April 2011. The new codes of practice do not apply to existing Tier 2 migrants or work permit holders. All candidates applying from outside of the UK or apply to switch into Tier 2 (General) from a different immigration route in country must have a job offer at or above graduate level listed on the new codes.
Candidates will be assessed against a points test, with a minimum pass mark for Tier 2 visa applicants based on the offer of employment from a UK sponsor and the prospective salary package. All applicants will be required to meet this threshold in order to qualify.
Assigned Certificate of Sponsorship 30 points
Appropriate Salary of £20,000 or more 20 points
English language skills
Tier 2 (General) includes a mandatory requirement to score 10 points for English language skills. Candidates are expected to have a level of English equivalent to level B1 of the Council of Europe's Common European Framework for Language Learning.
Candidates can claim 10 points if they:
- are a national of a majority English speaking country; or•
- hold a degree that was taught or researched in English which must be equivalent to a United Kingdom Bachelors degree or above; or
- pass an approved English language test at Level B1 or higher; or
- have previously been granted leave as a Tier 2 migrant under the rules in place before 6 April 2011, as a work permit holder, have previously been granted leave under Tier 2 and provided evidence of meeting the English language requirement and have been granted less than five years in these categories.
Maintenance English language skills
Candidates can claim 10 points if:
- They score 30 points for switching from a post-study category; or
- They have current leave as a Tier 2 migrant, or work permit holder; or
- Their A-rated sponsor certifies on the Certificate of Sponsorship that they will maintain and accommodate the candidate up to the end of your first month of employment in the UK, if required; or
- They can provide evidence of personal savings of at least £800 held for a consecutive 90 day period ending no more than 30 days before the date of application.
Definitive Immigration Services specialises in providing up to the minute guidance and assistance relating to applications within Tier 2 of the points based system. Call us today for a free assessment of the viability of your case.